Have you got this situation?
Your LEGO NXT brick won’t start… it won’t show up in the software… but it gives a strange sound.
Put your ear right up to the LEGO MINDSTORMS NXT brick with fresh batteries and turn it on. Do you hear a clicking noise?
tic… tic… tic… tic… tic… tic… tic… tic… tic… tic… tic… tic…
There is no way you can start your brick. Whether you press the orange button or whatsoever. The brick isn’t even recognized in the NXT Software. But don’t worry, this is a very common problem. Let’s see…
There are many names for this, such as:
- Dead brick
- Clicking brick syndrome
- Coma state
- Samba mode (technical term)
- If you know it by another name, please leave it in the comments below.
Explanation: Very simply, the firmware got washed-off / corrupted / erased / anything else! That’s it. There is no physical damage to the brick.
Reasons for this problem:
- Unfinished Firmware update
- Hard reset (button) applied
- Changing firmware / installing different firmware (e.g. changing the firmware between NXT, RobotC, Enchanting, LabVIEW etc.)
- Seriously bad programming (rare, but not impossible)
- Pulling out the USB Cord while a program is downloading
- Anything else…?
Solution: It’s very simple to solve this problem.
1. First try the hard reset using a paper clip, screwdriver, or LEGO axle to press the concealed button as shown below.
2. Connect the NXT brick to a computer by USB.
3. Open the LEGO MINDSTORMS NXT Software, go to Tools -> Update NXT Firmware
4. Choose the latest available Firmware File and select Download.
5. Your NXT brick is now ready to use.
Precaution: Do not update the firmware when batteries are flat or low on charge. You may totally ruin your NXT brick.