Do you have a problem that your LEGO NXT brick won’t start? It won’t show up in the software… but it gives a strange sound.
Put your ear right up to the LEGO MINDSTORMS NXT brick with fresh batteries and turn it on. Do you hear a clicking noise?
tic… tic… tic… tic… tic… tic… tic… tic… tic… tic… tic… tic…
There is no way you can start your brick. You press the orange button and nothing happens. The brick isn’t even recognized in the NXT Software. But don’t worry, this is a very common problem.
There are many names for this, including:
- Dead brick
- Clicking brick syndrome
- Coma state
- Samba mode (technical term)
What’s the problem?
The brick’s firmware has been either deleted or corrupted in some way. That’s it. There is no physical damage to the brick.
Why has this happened?
Some possible causes for this problem include:
- Unfinished Firmware update.
- Hard reset (button) applied.
- Changing firmware / installing different firmware (e.g. changing the firmware between NXT, RobotC, Enchanting, LabVIEW etc.).
- Seriously bad programming (rare, but not impossible).
- Pulling out the USB cord while a program is downloading.
How to fix it?
- First, ensure that your NXT brick has fresh batteries or a fully charged battery pack.
(Tip: You should always avoid updating firmware when the batteries are flat or low on charge. You may totally ruin your NXT brick.)
- Try a hard reset using a paper clip, screwdriver, or LEGO axle to press the concealed button as shown below.
- Connect the NXT brick to a computer by USB.
- In the LEGO MINDSTORMS NXT Software, go to Tools -> Update NXT Firmware
- Choose the latest available Firmware File and select Download.
Your NXT brick should now ready to use.
Last updated: 23 November 2017