Have you got this situation?
Your LEGO NXT Brick wont start… it wont show up… but it gives a strange sound.
Put your ear right up to the LEGO MINDSTORMS NXT Brick with fresh batteries and it turned on. Do you hear a clicking noise?
tic… tic… tic… tic… tic… tic… tic… tic… tic… tic… tic… tic…
There is no way you can start your brick. Whether you press the orange button or whatsoever. The brick isn’t even recognized in the NXT software! But don’t worry, this is a very common problem. Let’s see…
There are many names for this case:
- Dead brick
- Clicking brick syndrome
- Coma state
- Samba mode (technical term!)
- You can also give a creative name!
Explanation: Very simply, the firmware got washed-off / corrupted / erased / anything else! That’s it. There is no physical damage to the brick.
Reasons for this problem:
- Unfinished Firmware update
- Hard Reset (Button) applied
- Changing firmware / installing different firmware (changing the firmwares like NXT, RobotC, Enchanting, Labview etc.)
- Seriously bad programming (rare, but not impossible!)
- Pulling out the USB Cord while a program is downloading
- Anything else… ______________
Solution: It’s very simple to solve this problem.
1. First try the Hard Reset as shown below.
2. Connect your NXT Brick to the computer.
3. Open your LEGO MINDSTORMS NXT Software, go to Tools -> Update NXT Firmware
4. Check for the latest Firmware version available
5. Select the latest Firmware Version and Click on the Download as shown under. Let it finish its work.
6. Your NXT Brick is now ready to use!
7. Precaution: Do not update the firmware when batteries are flat or low on charge. You may totally ruin your NXT brick!