I was part of the team that developed the TrotBot linkage mechanism in LEGO, and then helped to scale it up to the size of a minivan.
We gained a ton of knowledge from the scale-up and I’ve taken many of the improvements that we made at minivan scale back to LEGO, which really improved my builds.
Here are a couple examples:
I’ve posted detailed plans on how I built TrotBot, along with some of the engineering insights that helped me to improve it here.
I’ve also started to post a few challenge questions of the type we had to answer to design and build TrotBot. I hope you or your students give them a go! You can find them in my blog.
I hope you find this useful and inspiring.
- DIY Walkers: Explorations of the TrotBot walking mechanism
- DIY Walkers: TrotBot using EV3
- DIY Walkers: Strider
Latest posts by Ben Vagle (see all)
- Hexapod TrotBot: A classroom-friendly DIY walker - 19 October 2017
- EV3 TrotBot Version 2: Inspired by a Galloping Horse - 4 May 2017
- DIY Walkers: Strider - 29 January 2017