This is a summary of the LEGO MINDSTORMS Education EV3 Software with the NXT brick and associated hardware.
Remember: The NXT firmware cannot be updated using Firmware Update in the EV3 software. If you want to use the EV3 Software with the NXT brick, you still need the NXT software (NXT-G or equivalent – e.g. LabVIEW for LEGO MINDSTORMS) to update/reinstall the firmware.
* Note: Although there’s no block for the NXT Light sensor in the EV3 Software (or at least not yet), when you’re using the EV3 brick you can use it with both the EV3 and NXT bricks. For the EV3 brick, you can do it by using the Color sensor block and when using the NXT brick you can use the Light sensor with the Sound sensor block! You can even select between reflect and ambient light modes! Select dB for reflected light (LED on) and dBa for ambient light (LED off).
- Using EV3 software to run the NXT (Barbara Bratzel)
- External link: EV3 and NXT: Difference and Compatibility (Laurens Valk)
- External link: EV3 vs NXT: The Educators Dilemma (Damien Kee)
- External link: Sensors for LEGO Mindstorms EV3: Features and Comparison (Dragos George Calin)
Latest posts by Rob Torok (see all)
- 2016 Summer LEGO Engineering Institute for Educators - 13 April 2016
- Get Started with NXT - 30 March 2016
- General Advice for Getting Started - 30 March 2016