How to update the firmware on the EV3 using the LEGO MINDSTORMS Education EV3 software:
- First, make sure that the EV3 is on and connected to the computer.
- Under Tools on the menu at the top of the screen, choose Firmware Update.
A pop-up window will appear, showing you the current firmware on the EV3 and the version(s) available for download to the EV3.
- Select the firmware version you wish to use (probably the most recent one) and click Download.
- The EV3screen will go blank. As the firmware download progresses, the Preparing EV3 Brick and Downloading bars will chart its progress. Once the download is complete, a pop-up window will say “Firmware update successful!”
- Close both pop-up windows. Your EV3 firmware is now ready to use.
The following two tabs change content below.
Barbara teaches at the Shady Hill School in Cambridge, Massachusetts and works at the Center for Engineering and Education Outreach at Tufts University. She is the author of several LEGO robotics activity books for teachers, most recently STEM by Design.
Latest posts by Barbara Bratzel (see all)
- New Dr E’s MINDSTORMS and WeDo Challenges - 13 February 2018
- Does LEGO BOOST have a place in education? - 20 January 2018
- New cycle of Dr. E’s WeDo and MINDSTORMS challenges - 23 September 2017