Students will investigate the properties of sturdy structures by constructing a LEGO wall. The wall must be about 6 bricks high and withstand the “Flick Test”. The Flick Test involves flicking the top of the wall to see if it fails or tips over.
- Predicting structurally sound building practices.
- Class discussion of different building methods.
- Building and testing a sturdy wall.
- Recording design and test results in Engineering Journal.
By the end of this lesson, students will be able to:
- Determine the best design for a sturdy structure
Note: The first lesson plan attached to this post was designed as part of a series of introductory WeDo lessons but is relevant to all building systems (i.e. RCX, NXT, EV3, …).
- Sturdy Wall lesson plan – WeDo (PDF)
- Sturdy Wall lesson plan – alternate version (PDF)
- Sturdy Wall Journal (PDF)